Tuesday, January 14, 2014

soap making and curtain rods

I hear a knock and Lois asks if I have any gloves. I do not but what kind, plastic is what she was looking for, I suggested that she use a plastic bag instead as I have a bag of  bags ( if you know what I mean, I hunch many people have one as well) so I follow her out and see a couple of people sitting and Mary (Dean's wife) is stirring the mixture in the basin. Of course I ask and they are making liquid soap. ok then I am told there is different ingredients:  a bucket with acid, bucket with a base (now does everyone remember acid:base ratios) I don't, and a plastic bag with a powder in it and Atta keeps adding water to the mixture. So they are making liquid soap to sell in the market, they will let it sit over night and add colour and perfume tomorrow. I admit I had never seen soap made before and they were surprised that I only bought it ready made at the store back home. I admitted there are some specialty soaps made in small batched e.g. goats milk soap I guess maybe in the rural areas folks may make it but I am a city person so buy it at the store.

 
on to curtains, here  a favourite way of hanging curtains is to use a plastic coated wire with a spring in it, and screw hooks at either end which is what I used last spring BUT I brought curtain rods with me in October. The window frames are made of VERY hard wood and I can hammer a nail but unable to put a screw in it so I asked Atta to get a carpenter and he arrived today. After I explained how the hardware was to be installed I heard much hammering, ??? even though I had given him a screw driver. anyway the result is great and the curtains hang straight now. the walls here are rough, plaster like as you can see the trowel marks in places, I tries to hammer a nail in and it made a big hole so got carpenter to put a nail for my picture of the Galilee that I had sent over in the summer.
So tonight I sit, listen to Les Miserable on my I pod  admiring my curtains and pic.
 



3 comments:

  1. Both educational (the soap) and lovely (the curtains)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Smart one to get help with your DYI project.
    I have made bar soap using ashes and fat we rendered from a hog. Then used it - got the dirt out of the clothes but clothes felt a little greasy until we boiled them. Our hands were quite raw afterward.

    ReplyDelete
  3. fat etc sounds ucky to me, I am glad I live in this day and age

    ReplyDelete