Saturday, March 21, 2020

NAMING CEREMONY

I was invited to attend the Naming Ceremony for Dean's granddaughter. she is almost 3 months old and today is officially getting her name. Daddy picked the name of his mother which the baby mama agreed. "Mame Adwoa Birago Ntiamoah" Quite a handle eh!
There was an introduction with scripture read and some comments from the Dean, the Venerable Gabriel prayed, then Dean took the baby and had a conversation with her that no everything is as it looks. They symbolize this with two liquids water and a soda. this explanation includes both liquids are given to the baby on a spoon.
Then there are more prayers and n opportunity to donate for the baby. (here they do not have showers before the baby is born). I learn cultural expectations bit by bit. As I looked around and it dawned on me that everyone  was wearing white. I realized that I need to get a white outfit with sparkly adornments to be appropriate. oopsy, today I was not in white.

Dean with baby and the liquids


Folks watching and we got a take away lunch when leaving




No comments:

Post a Comment