Monday, March 18, 2019

issue of a hat

there was a seminarian robed for the wedding on Saturday, a friend of the bride,  white cassock, surplice, and she had a hat on, after asking a few people about the hat, I was told that some diocese require that their women clergy wear a hat when robed (good job I am not in that diocese) anyway she came to church on Sunday so I got an opportunity to ask her about the hat. She said some diocese expect the hat to be worn, so I launched into the inequality between men and women about who wears a hat. She did say that her bishop the Rt. Rev. Dr Victor Atta Baffoe (a grad of Trinity in Toronto that same convocation when I graduated and  former Dean of St. Nicholas Seminary in Cape Coast) so the bishop has been discussing her not wearing the hat but parishioners sometimes want the woman's head covered, I had 5 minutes to talk about the visible difference that the hat presents by separating the genders of priests and how do women ever be seen the same if we look different, So when men wear hats then we all can wear them, until then, not in my book.
so hence the picture with no hat.Vida Frimpong and I ... with hat in my hand 

5 comments:

  1. Yippee, no hat! Hat's indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is interesting to be pushing the envelope of equality between the sexes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's interesting how the small ways men try to underline their power and diminish women!!

    ReplyDelete