Tuesday, December 8, 2015

embroidery 101

Started lessons to do embroidery this morning at the Holy Paraclete Skill Centre,
I needed to remember that I need to take everything that might be needed, zip lock bags to store embroidery work, hoops -thanks to all who contributed as there were plenty of choice for everyone to choose from, floss thanks to Wendy and the Bible thrift store there was plenty of colours to select, needles thanks to Bible thrift store, and we were off....... how to separate the threads, thread the needle, put a knot at the end and then dive into making stitches, we practiced two stitches and talked about how these could be used on dresses, pillow cases, blankets, (if anyone has any embroidery transfers or sees them in a thrift shop I would really appreciate them, Box 23, Sunyani, B.A. Ghana, West Africa), it was fun to watch some catch on really quickly and others need time to get what being asked, I needed to remember some of these young women have never put a foot inside a school and I have a big accent in my speaking so Daniel was busy translating when there was trouble in understanding, I am taking a couple stoles that I have here, that have embroidery on them to show what could be the result, I was very picky about straight lines and equal spaces stitches, 
So their homework was that to do two rows of each stitch by next class on Thursday. We start at Canada 10 am which is 10 am and all but 2 were there, good for them as 10 am Ghana time could be anywhere up to noon. So we are the way to skilled workers.

No comments:

Post a Comment