Thursday, April 9, 2015

the old car

no news on Rita
getting the old car to use, got a new battery but its certificate of road worthiness needs to be renew so I hope the bishop can deal with that tomorrow as I don't know how. It will be great to be able to get around a little easier and to get large packages home without a struggle.

Visited the Skill centre for the Order of the Holy Paraclete, a place where women can take a 3 year course to get a sewing skill, making patterns and at the end they get to take their sewing machine with them to start a little business with their new marketable skill.
There are many reasons why a woman could be there: family in poverty told teenage daughter that she needed now to take care of herself,  she could have never been to school, can't read or write or do numbers. may leave a village in the north to get employment in the city with no marketable skills, may turn to living with a man, get pregnant, not get support to raise the baby, has a future with no possibility of getting ahead, maybe not able to even survive. Many variations of this theme result in a woman looking assistance to have a future.
They make dresses, table cloths and napkins, bags, pillow covers with fabric that has been tie dyed or painted at the centre.  They also sell fabric that has been decorated. Daniel is the artist and has a great imagination. I will bring samples of their work back with me so if you are interested, see me in the summer. notice sewing machine wheel is cranked by the right hand

7 comments:

  1. Can you take orders? How much would a large table cloth, 48" x 96" (roughly) be, plus 8 matching napkins, in a blue-based print?

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes I can, when you say blue, what shade are you thinking?

    ReplyDelete
  3. and maybe send me a pic on email so I can fix it in my minds eye

    ReplyDelete
  4. pic of the blue shade is what I am trying to say

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not picky! Fairly bright would be good, but whatever you can find. Not too green, I prefer "blue" blues to ones that are more turquoise. Tie dye pattern with other colours, but blue dominant would be ok. Or other pattern with blue dominant. Does that help?

    ReplyDelete
  6. yes that helps, I will put in your order
    Thanks in advance from the centre

    ReplyDelete
  7. Before you place the order, can you give me a rough idea what it will cost?

    ReplyDelete