Sunday, December 18, 2022

ONE YEAR ANNIVERSARY BISHOP KYEM AMPOMAH

 lots of busy activity getting the cathedral ready in the last half hour before service was to begin. The priests, lay leaders, seminary students, of the diocese gather outside the cathedral. I see a pile of mats which I think indicates that many from afar came last night and slept on the floor of the cathedral to attend this service. Pomp and circumstance abounds, incense winding upward,  single line according to rank and position enter to the processional hymn (about 50 folks), the cathedral filled to spill over to the balcony.    

from behind the altar

Prior to the sermon is 20 minutes of dancing and singing.
(dam, can't figure out how to get a video here from my phone)
got help and I think it will work



The preacher was the retired Primate Most Rev. Prof. Daniel Yinkah Sarfo. Sermons here include singing and the message (3/4 hour). Folks listened in the local language while I looked at my watch.
Offertory was a many layered happening. Free will offering for the bishop, then amounts of money is shouted out by the Appeal Leader eg 10,000 cedis, 5,000 cedis all the way down to five and ten cedis. (all put in a plastic handle bag and given directly to the bishop), next there was an appeal for a free will donation for the cathedral. The service continued with the celebration of the Eucharist.
Services here end with requested prayers, anniversaries, celebrations and today for the Bishop and his family;  Bishop and his wife to his left. and to his right, the Retire Primate and his children.

Then, the recessional hymn and it was finished.  Michael from the office was there so I got a ride home. After a shower as my shirt was completely wet as were the strings of my mask (2 mask event), food and a nap (my favourite Sunday afternoon activity)

.




No comments:

Post a Comment