Wednesday, November 24, 2021

A SAD, SCARY INCIDENT, a lacking clinic and a very determined little boy

 A clinic that I visited last time was robbed with  the threatening included the thieves waving and shooting with machine guns. The security guard was the only one hurt; money, personal phones and a few pieces of equipment were taken. The staff involved were given a months leave to return to their homes. The staff who are working now are afraid that it will happen again. The clinic has reduced its services so it is not open in the evenings any more. I was talking with the staff today and mentioned PTSD which will more than likely play a role in their future. I wondered out loud if monthly meetings might be a help to talk about their fear to give it a voice. I hope that this happens. I am asking for prayers for the staff.

                                                                     TODAY'S STAFF




Next I visited the Bishop Aglionby Health Clinic. This centre is the major facility within its community. The staff described their services as an Out Patient Clinic/Emergency Department and a Maternity Centre. They have upwards of 500 to 600 visits /month along with 50 - 60 deliveries. The facility has minimal resources. Actually it remind me of Street Health in the last 80's when we were serving Third World medical care to the homeless on the streets of Toronto, The big difference is that if we were 'out of our depths' we could take the patient to an emergency department of the local hospital and the patient would receive First World health care. They told me today that the facility they refer to,  have refused their patient if they were full or busy.   'Talk about being between a rock and a hard place'. 


I also heard that they do not have a suction machine in the delivery room to assist to \clear the airway of the newborn. If they can not clear the airway they send the baby to the local hospital and depending on how long it takes, determines the outcome for the newborn. I am wondering out loud about raising the few hundred dollars to purchase a suction machine for them. If you would like to contribute let me know and will give the way I can receive the support.

I end this with a tale about a very determined little boy

One of the nurses had her son with her as he was ill. He was having nothing to do with this Oburoni (white person) so here he is with his arms crossed in refusal to even say hello to me. He did wave good bye enthusiastically. So I know where I stand with him.



1 comment:

  1. Hahahahaaaaa don't worry, next time little boy will be nice to obroni(white woman).
    These communities despite the challenges with resources still manage to give the best of their professional care to their patients.
    Great work Rev. Cannon God bless you 🙌

    ReplyDelete