Thursday, February 7, 2019

tough school visits

yesterday visited 3 school sites and delivered bags of school supplies from the 2 drums that arrived from Canada, the bags are the size of a grocery bag with about 8 or 10 items inside, it felt like a drop in the ocean even though the full barrels seemed like a lot of stuff, 
There are 92 Anglican schools in the Diocese of Sunyani and each one have or will get a few items selected for their specific grades.
In Dormaa, money donated from a few parishioners at Holy Trinity Chippawa was delivered, after a photo op, conversations and a few laughs the teachers from the kindergarten told me that a few of their kids have no shoes, not  even one pair, some are orphans and others are from families who can not afford shoes. I was shocked into a reality that made me very sad and angry, actually I felt like crap and said to Kingsley on the way home that I could not visits schools like that everyday, it was tooooo stressful and emotional for me to deal with the gap between the haves and the have nots  when it hits me in the face like that it did in Dormaa
I wondered out loud if parents at the cathedral could be asked to give their kids shoes that no longer fit for these kids, does not cost any money as I have not seen one kid at the cathedral without shoes on, so Sunday a box is going to be put out to collect shoes, 
Talk about a baseball bat hitting between the eyes, this was it yesterday for me

this is the kindergarten in Dormaa, no shoes on some
it is a block structure with a cardboard on a wood frame divider between Jr and Sr. Kindergaten 
 this side has four low tables  each with a few chairs in front of a blackboard
 the kindergarten kids with teachers
more pics tomorrow from other schools

5 comments:

  1. Great elaboration, Can., and good suggestion.Count me in as regards soliciting help from folks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for your support
    I wonder if all parishes could assess where there is a need and carry out similar collections to fill needs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shoes are a basic safety need as cuts on the feet can be life threatening.
    Great idea forr school kids here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. #35.00 Canadian I am told buys 7 pair of children slippers

    ReplyDelete