Saturday, November 29, 2014

FRIDAY I dont know whether it is black or not, just that it is Friday

Friday was a marathon of 2 doc appts.
1) to see radiologist to determine radiation treatments 11am at PMH,
of course arrived at 1015 so I would not be late (still not so sure about TTC subway so leave very early). Tanya arrives, taken in to see Dr. Leven at 1215 (they were running a little late ??? no reason why but anyway) he is a nice fellow, explains things even drawing pictures
SO the determination is that I will receive 21 treatments (an additional 5 directed from the side as the lump was taken out and then, the surrounding tissue (not taken as one specimen) which results in
Dr. Leven not being able to determine the exact margin from the centre of the lump so the extra just to be sure). This treatment reduces the reoccurrence of cancer from 30% to 15% so seems like a worthwhile treatment for me
He was sweet in that he offered to start after Xmas but I expressed my desire to get this show on the road, so being measured next Thursday and treatments start next Friday.
Ran down stairs, bought sandwich at Druxies in PMH lobby, jumped in the car
2) to see medical oncologist at the Cancer centre in Hamilton (I use Tanya's address in Hamilton and Cancer Care Ontario has the care determined by your address so hence we are off to Hamilton) don't ask why I can do the rest at PMH, I have no answer.
Arrive at 245pm for 3pm appt, sign in etc and sit.
see Resident, who does physical and talks about options.
I will admit because the tumour was very small, end of my little finger, I am going to need to be convinced to take medication to reduce the reoccurrence rate. The meds can reduce another 45 to 50% of reoccurrence so it would be down to 7% possibly to reoccur. Some of the side effects are not nice to need to investigate more to make the decision.
They were very generous and gave me the side effects for the two types of meds, and would phone the prescription in rather than have me come back to this hospital.
So headed back to Toronto on GO.
a little tired so off to bed

No comments:

Post a Comment