Sunday, April 28, 2019

Adu takes me to the village where he was born

about 45 minutes from Sunyani is the village where Adu was born and he wanted to take me to see it, and also that I would be introduced to his family, it is off the main road by 20 minutes and down a dirt path/road to a group of houses. The kids gather to see the white woman and they stand around while I show them pictures of Niagara Falls that I took last summer.


The village has no employment opportunities so the youth have moved to the cities.
This leaves the aged and middle aged with no marketable skills left to scratch out an existence, some not successfully. They do farming, raise chickens and goats and some have a herd of cows.
The housing has a dirt floor, mud walls with pole supports and a corrugated tin roof or rough wide boards with gaps between and a tin roof. Kids have very used clothing on with rips and holes and wear rubber flip flops on their feet.
But
sitting there, a breeze blowing, only birds chirping, chickens scratching dirt for food, goats running up and down and standing high on rocks, a herd of cows just moseying along, eating as they go, no ropes on them, no bell to hear them coming, no city noises, or car horns, or trucks chugging ......... very peaceful
                                                                                               goats in front of a mud walled house

boards wall and note on the second board from the bottom
the abc's are there to remind the kids

Adu catching mangos to take home that are
being knocked off by someone with a stick up the tree











so I need to Loo, we get in the car and drive 5-6 minutes and 
I am shown a building with a two room outhouse, very clean place
His relatives do have a toilet but I hunch this one is in better shape than the relatives'

 A SQUAT !!! not seen one since '90 in India
the seat is 3-4 inches off the ground,
 it is amazing what physical feats one can do when nature calls

the little shed with the door ajar, at the back of the picture has the 'low seat' accommodation

Then supper was served. While it was being made, Adu told me it was maize, made into soup. It seems the definition of soup here is really closer to stew in Canada.  So the yellow mound was very good, they eat with their hands, I used a spoon.. It seems to have the consistency of turkey dressing made from corn meal with lots of spices including pepper. It was very good and I brought half home to eat for my snack tonight  When I tried to get the name, it could not be translated out of Ewi so I am calling it the 'no name Ewi maize soup'  
.

No comments:

Post a Comment